Saturday 25 September 2010

"Always do what you are afraid to do"

It's hard to believe that two weeks ago, I was getting on a plane. Is it already two weeks? Was that ONLY two weeks? I'm missing home tonight.
Two nights ago I made breakfast for dinner for all of my flatmates and a few other friends. We made pancakes, scrambled eggs, and hashbrowns. When Matt and I bought the pancake mix, we read that we needed one egg and 150ml milk. It wasn't until we went to cook it that we realized that was per 100g (only 1/5 of the mix!) Conversions... While we were eating, I mentioned that I wanted to make biscuits and gravy but couldn't find any at the grocery store. This received the funniest reaction from my British flatmates who were of course thinking biscuits to be cookies. I don't think anyone ever came up with a good explanation of what American biscuits actually are.
Yesterday I walked to the end of West Sands Beach here in St. Andrews. Our orientation leaders in Edinburgh told us that there is a scene in Chariots of Fire that was filmed on that very beach. I hope to start running there soon.
Today I took the bus into Dundee. I now have sheets for my bed! It's important to appreciate the little things.
One day until classes start! I guess I should figure out where they will be...

3 comments:

  1. hahaha. i love the biscuits story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Mindy for making something other than sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does it...I am going to try cookies and gravy at breakfast in the morning!

    ReplyDelete