Wednesday 16 February 2011

Adventures in Language

While I was bored at work today I made a list of words we have in English that they really need to have in German:
to nap (they call this sleeping during the day)
to hug (they say to take into ones arms)
girlfriend/boyfriend (this I find very confusing. I understand the concept but always forget that I have to say a friend of mine instead of my friend in order to avoid confusion)

And now my favorite German words that we don't have:
doch (this is used when someone says something and the truth is actually the opposite. If for example I were to say "It never snows in Oklahoma" you could say "DOCH, we just had a foot of snow!")
quatsch (translates loosely to B.S. but can be also used as a verb)
nnneuh? (said upon first seeing someone. Like the British greeting of alright? so much easier than "how are you")

Liebe Gruessen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment